Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Darfur

So the topic today- Darfur. Quite frankly i think it's appalling. After Rwanda, everybody said "never again." well the killing started in early 2003. It is now 2009. Six years?! really? The UN has declared it "the world's worst humanitarian crisis." Of course they refuse to call it what it really is- genocide. Now, in their minds, this isn't just stubborness, bad press, etc., it's necessary, because, you see, if they officially declare it genocide, they're required to intervene and take the measures to stop the genocide. At least the United States has a bit of a spine, they "call it what it really is- genocide." I mean there are so many places to place the blame here, i don't even know where to start or which one is worse. The Rwandan government who originally sent in the janjaweed? That's pretty awful. How corrupt and horrible do you have to be to send in government militia to cleanse an entire area of a certain ethnicity? The chinese government? When most want to do something about it but since the chinese do so much business with Sudan, of course, they manage to sneek in a clause that prevents the UN from sending in troops unless Sudan says it's alright. Well, since the janjaweed are THEIR troops, they didn't say yes- shocker. In 2006 the UN finally voted to send some troops on but its still happening. "Never again"? I'd say Darfur is the perfect example of "again."

3 comments:

  1. hey hanna, I agree with you. There are so many countries to blaim for this genocide, including the own country that it's happening in, Sudan. I don't think anything is going to get better until the janjaweed's are defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. greetings hanna. I too agree that the situation in Darfur is "Appaling" and this senseless killing should be stopped. Also Janjaweed are not okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, in rereading this i said the rwandan government sent in the troops. moment of obliviousness. I actually meant sudanese, sorry bout that haha

    ReplyDelete